An Indiana toddler died from a fentanyl overdose and two other kids had to be given Narcan after they swallowed pills from a stash in a family home, authorities said.
Kamari Opperman, 3, and two other children, ages 2 and 4, “got hold” of a bag of fentanyl pills at the Evansville home Wednesday, her grandmother told police, according to the Evansville Courier & Press.
No one at the drug-filled house took Kamari to the hospital, or attended to the other two young children until emergency responders rushed them to the hospital and administered anti-OD drug Narcan, an affidavit said.
An infant was also possibly exposed to the deadly drug at the home — where police found 5,600 fentanyl pills, prosecutors said.
Six residents were arrested after emergency responders found Opperman dead, including the girl’s mother and two of her grandparents, according to court records.
“This tragedy needs to serve as a wakeup call to our entire community,” Vanderburgh County Prosecutor Nick Hermann said Thursday.
The Evansville-Vanderburgh County Joint Drug Task Force is “dealing with fentanyl constantly,” police spokeswoman Sgt. Anna Gray said.
The deadly drug is up to 100 more powerful than morphine, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
With Post wires