Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors slammed a report by New York Magazine that detailed the organization’s purchase of a swanky $5.8 million Southern California home — claiming the story is a “racist and sexist” attack on the movement.
The 6,500-square-foot mansion features more than six bedrooms and bathrooms and was “secretly bought” with BLM’s donation funds, the magazine reported and The Post later confirmed. The luxe property once hosted Humphrey Bogart and Marilyn Monroe as house guests — and comes complete with a sound stage, music studio, pool and a two-bedroom guest house.
Cullors called the article about the massive home a “despicable abuse of a platform that’s intended to provide information to the public” in a Tuesday Instagram post.
“The fact that a reputable publication would allow a reporter, with a proven and very public bias against me and other Black leaders, to write a piece filled with misinformation, innuendo and incendiary opinions, is disheartening and unacceptable,” she wrote of the piece authored by Sean Campbell.
The article revealed that the seven-bedroom residence was purchased by Dyane Pascall two weeks after BLMGNF received $66.5 million from its fiscal sponsor. Pascall is the financial manager for an LLC operated by Cullors and her spouse, Janaya Khan — Janaya and Patrisse Consulting.
Ownership was transferred within a week to an LLC in Delaware, ensuring the property’s owner wouldn’t be disclosed and the purchase of the nearly $6 million home had not been previously reported, the magazine claimed. BLM officials tried to keep its existence a secret from members of the media looking into the transaction.
Cullors recorded a video last June outside the home to mark the first anniversary of George Floyd’s murder, in which she remarked she was in “survival mode” after The Post’s exclusive reporting last April revealed her purchase of four high-end US homes for $3.2 million.
“What’s happening to me and to our movement is both racist and sexist,” Cullors wrote regarding the reporting on her purchases. “What is happening to me is not about accountability or healing. It’s about destroying my life and destroying a powerful movement.”
In the post, Cullors said the reason the purchase wasn’t announced was the house — which she claims was bought to “be a safe space for Black people” — required “repairs and renovations.”
Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety documents reviewed by The Post showed the last renovation done on the property was roof work by the previous owner in 2017, and pictures of the listing showed it in mint condition.
Cullors goes on to say that she “never misappropriated funds,” a claim the article does not accuse her of. She also said the scrutiny she is facing is “unfair and unjust.”
“It pains me that so many people have accepted that narrative without the presence of tangible truth or facts,” she wrote.
A New York Magazine spokesperson told The Post they stand by the story.