COVID patient hospitalized after overdosing on ivermectin

0
53
COVID patient hospitalized after overdosing on ivermectin

An Australian man who tested positive for COVID-19 was reportedly hospitalized after he overdosed on a variety of “magic cures” — including ivermectin, an antiparasitic drug that has prompted federal health warnings.

The Western Sydney resident, who was admitted to Westmead Hospital, was lucky he didn’t develop severe toxicity after self-medicating with the unproven cocktail he bought online, toxicologist Naren Gunja told abc.net.au.

“There’s no evidence to support the use of ivermectin to treat COVID-19,” the associate professor at Westmead said. “Don’t look for magic cures online and don’t rely on what’s being peddled on the internet, because none of them work.”

Ivermectin is a deworming drug often prescribed for animals, according to the US Federal Drug Administration, which has also warned against COVID patients using the medication.

The drug is also approved for humans, but at very specific doses — and not to treat viruses, the agency added.

Australia’s Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly.
Australia’s Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly said “many trials that have been done into ivermectin, not a single one of them have shown to be effective.”
Lukas Coch/EPA

Paul Kelly, Australia’s chief medical officer, issued a stern warning against unproven drugs after the man was hospitalized with severe vomiting and diarrhea, the Guardian reported.

“The reality is, there are many trials that have been done into ivermectin, not a single one of them have shown to be effective,” Kelly said.

“Now, in the future, maybe that will change. We’ve learned to be nimble in our appraisal of the scientific evidence right throughout this pandemic, but absolutely and categorically please do not take unproven medicine at this time. It is ineffective and not safe.”

Ivermectin pills.
Ivermectin is approved for humans, but at very specific doses, and not to treat viruses.
Pacific Coast News/Dirceu Portugal/Avalon

The FDA was forced to remind Americans they are not livestock last month, amid a rise in poison-control calls from people suffering side effects after taking ivermectin.

“You are not a horse. You are not a cow. Seriously, y’all. Stop it,” the agency tweeted.

Animal drugs are concentrated at levels that can be highly toxic for humans, the FDA warned.

News about the incident Down Under comes shortly after podcast host Joe Rogan — who has openly criticized the need for COVID-19 vaccines — was diagnosed with COVID-19, saying he “threw the kitchen sink at it, all kinds of meds,” including ivermectin.

Rogan said he also took monoclonal antibodies, Z-Pak and prednisone.

“I also got an NAD drip and a vitamin drip and I did that three days in a row. Here we are on Wednesday, and I feel great,” he said.

Joe Rogan.
Joe Rogan was recently was diagnosed with COVID-19 and said he “threw the kitchen sink at it, all kinds of meds,” including ivermectin.
Michael S. Schwartz/Getty Images

Source link