Director Joel Souza released from hospital after Alec Baldwin shooting

0
23
Director Joel Souza released from hospital after Alec Baldwin shooting

Director Joel Souza, who was injured when a prop gun handled by Alec Baldwin discharged — killing a cinematographer on the set of the Western “Rust” — has been released from the hospital.

Souza’s reps confirmed to Deadline on Friday morning that the 48-year-old filmmaker was released from Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center in Santa Fe.

Actress Frances Fisher, one of the stars working on the upcoming movie, said in a tweet earlier that Souza had told her he was out of the hospital.

She was responding to a tweet by fellow actress Patricia Arquette, who wrote:
“My heart goes out to Halyna Hutchins family. What a heartbreaking loss. Sending prayers to Joel Souza. I’m sure everyone is devastated.”

Hutchins, 42, the cinematographer, was killed in the tragic shooting at Bonanza Creek Ranch in Sante Fe.

An eyewitness told Hollywood gossip site Showbiz 411 that Baldwin asked how he could have been given a “hot gun” — meaning a firearm loaded with real ammo.

“In all my years, I’ve never been handed a hot gun,” he allegedly kept saying.

Film director Joel Souza
Souza was treated at Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center in Santa Fe.
Phillip Caruso/Handout via REUTERS

The film set was sent into lockdown and production was halted immediately after the accidental double shooting, which unfolded at about 2 p.m. Thursday.

“Detectives are investigating how and what type of projectile was discharged,” the sheriff’s office said in a statement.

No charges were filed as of late Thursday and detectives are still interviewing witnesses.

Source link