The Florida man sought for questioning in the mysterious disappearance of Gabby Petito broke his silence Tuesday, saying it’s “an extremely difficult time” for both families.
“I understand that a search has been organized for Miss Petito in or near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming,” Brian Laundrie said in a statement, according to ABC News.
“On behalf of the Laundrie family it is our hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is re-united with her family,” said the statement, issued through an attorney.
“On the advice of counsel the Laundrie family is remaining in the background at this juncture and will have no further comment,” it said.
Laundrie retained a lawyer and has refused to cooperate with police since returning to his North Port home on Friday without Petito, 22, with whom he had been on a cross-country trip.
Petito, originally from Long Island, left on the trip with Laundrie in July and was last heard from late last month — before Laundrie returned home in the van the two were traveling in.
This week Laundrie’s parents also turned away cops at the home, while police were spotted leaving a pink envelope at the home Tuesday.
“We talked to the parents, who did not make him available,” North Port city spokesman Josh Taylor told The Post.
On Tuesday, his mom and dad were seen returning to the Wabasso Avenue house — still mum about the case.
North Port cops are working with Suffolk County police on the missing person case and have about a dozen detectives working for “anything that might give us clues,” the Sun North Port newspaper reported.
“Anywhere USA is what we’re working on,” Taylor told the outlet.