Another member of the Trinitarios gang has been convicted in the killing of 15-year-old Lesandro “Junior” Guzman-Feliz, who was brutally stabbed to death outside of a Bronx bodega in 2018.
Danel Fernandez, 25, pleaded guilty to first degree manslaughter in Bronx Supreme Court on Tuesday for his role in the caught-on-camera slaying, the Bronx District Attorney’s Office announced.
He is the last of 13 defendants who were involved in the teen’s death. Fernandez will be sentenced to up to 18 years in prison and five years of supervised release, officials said.
“Although the defendant did not stab the victim, his actions led to the horrifying death of the innocent teen,” District Attorney Clark said in a statement.
“This brings an end to the case, but will never bring closure for Junior’s grieving family,” he said.
Fernandez, a member of the “Los Sures” set of the Trinitarios, was directed by leaders Diego Suero and Frederick Then — who were convicted of second-degree murder in July — to “commit violence” against members of the rival “Sunset” Trinitarios, according to officials.
He was among the group of gang members who chased Guzman-Feliz into a bodega on Bathgate Avenue and 183rd Street on June 20, 2018 after they mistook him as a member of the gang. The teen had no gang affiliation.
They attacked him inside of the store before dragging him out to the street, where five gang members repeatedly stabbed and hacked him to death with knives and machetes. Gruesome footage of the senseless murder went viral.
The five men who hacked Guzman-Feliz to death were convicted of first-degree murder by a jury in 2019 and are serving sentences ranging from life without parole to 23 years to life.
Five other gang members pleaded guilty for their roles in the murder earlier this month.