Mom of newborn, elderly man die in Harlem blaze

0
18
Mom of newborn, elderly man die in Harlem blaze

Two people — the mother of a newborn and an elderly man — perished when a fire ripped through a Harlem apartment building early Friday, authorities said.

The dead woman’s 1-month-old son and 4-year-old daughter were among four people also hurt in the blaze, officials said.

Adianatou-Nene Korouma, 37, was killed in the fire at 1833 Seventh Ave., where flames broke out on the third floor and spread to the fourth, police said.  She was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Saint Luke’s Hospital.

An 81-year-old man who has not yet been identified was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Eastside Hospital.

Korouma’s daughter was initially listed in critical condition but has since stabilized, authorities said. The baby also is in stable condition, officials said.

Firefighters outside 1833 Seventh Ave.
The fire took place early Friday at 1833 Seventh Ave.
Christopher Sadowski

In addition to the children, a 44-year-old woman and 56-year-old woman were taken to NYC Health & Hospitals/Harlem, where they were listed in stable condition, cops said.

The two-alarm blaze in the five-story building started about 1:45 a.m., according to officials, who said 106 firefighters responded.

The smoke-eaters’ efforts were complicated by heavy cluttering before they managed to bring the fire under control shortly after 3 a.m.

A ladder outside the scene of the fire.
Both of Korouma’s young children — ages 4 and 1 month — are now in stable condition.
Christopher Sadowski

The FDNY added in a tweet, “Fire Marshals have confirmed that the door to the fire apartment was left open.”

Residents described rushing to safety with their kids and pets.

“I was in the apartment. Someone knocked on the door. I grabbed my two sons and got out of there,” a tenant told WCBS. “My neighbor across the hall said, ‘Fire! It’s a fire!’ That’s all you had to tell me.”

First responders load a resident into an ambulance.
Several residents were injured in the blaze.
Christopher Sadowski

Another resident told the station, “I ran to grab my shoes and my coat and my passport, just in case.

“Then I literately couldn’t get out of the door, so I had to walk out that fire escape.”

Deputy Assistant Fire Chief Fred Schaaf told WABC that some of the victims were in cardiac arrest.

“It’s just that that smoke inhalation, from the smoke going to the floors above, is very difficult,” he said.

Source link