The Pentagon now says only one bomb — and not two like previously reported — was detonated outside Kabul airport Thursday that killed 13 US service members and at least 169 Afghans.
Army Maj. Gen. William “Hank” Taylor admitted during a press briefing Friday that there was only one ISIS-affiliated explosion at the Abbey gate at Hamid Karzai International Airport.
US officials had previously said a second explosion occurred outside the nearby Baron Hotel.
“I can confirm for you that we do not believe that there was a second explosion at or near the Baron Hotel, that it was one suicide bomber. We’re not sure how that report was provided incorrectly,” he said.
The 18 US service members wounded in the attack have since landed at the American Ramstein Air Base in Germany where they are being treated, Taylor said.
Despite the carnage, officials said more than 300 Americans had been evacuated from Kabul in the 24 hours ending Friday morning.
In total, 8,500 were evacuated on US military flights in that period.