Prince Andrew is expected to give a sworn deposition as part of a lawsuit brought by Jeffrey Epstein accuser Virginia Roberts Giuffre, her lawyer said Wednesday.
During a remote court hearing, Giuffre attorney David Boies told Manhattan federal Judge Lewis Kaplan that they expect to depose up to a dozen people in the suit, including Andrew and Giuffre.
Kaplan asked Boies if he knew the “core of people” who would be deposed as the suit moved toward trial.
“Certainly, obviously the parties,” Boies responded, referring to Giuffre, the plaintiff, and Andrew, the defendant.
He added there are a number of other witnesses they are seeking to depose in the suit, in which Giuffre accuses the Duke of York of sexually assaulting her three times when she was 17 years old.
Andrew’s attorney, Andrew Brettler, agreed the parties would be deposed in the suit and said the defense team also expects to question up to a dozen people.
A trial date was not set during the hearing, but Kaplan said the case would likely not to be heard by a jury until at least September next year.
Giuffre, a longtime Epstein accuser, claimed in the suit that Andrew sexually assaulted her three times in 2001 in New York, London and the Virgin Islands.
She claimed she was forced to engage in sex acts with the Duke of York at the direction of Epstein and his alleged madam, Ghislaine Maxwell, and that she “feared death or physical injury to herself” if she refused them.
Andrew has steadfastly denied he ever abused Giuffre and claimed in a motion to dismiss last week that she is publicity-hungry and out for a “payday.”