The Republican National Committee was “weighing its options” Monday after a report said the Federal Election Commission has tossed its complaint that Twitter illegally suppressed The Post’s expose about Hunter Biden’s emails.
“As Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey said recently, it was a ‘total mistake’ for Twitter to suppress this important story,” RNC spokeswoman Emma Vaughn said.
“Worse, it was also illegal and our complaint persuasively explains why.”
Vaughn added: “The RNC is weighing its options for appealing this disappointing decision from the FEC.”
US Rep. Mary Miller (R-Ill.) tweeted, “Big Tech and the Mainstream Media blocked the Hunter Biden story to affect the outcome of the election in violation of election law. They are now lying about it and facing zero consequences!”
Richard Grenell, who was acting director of national intelligence under then-President Donald Trump, also tweeted, “This stuff happens in Third World countries.”
Grenell added that Biden’s “laptop was not Russian disinformation and yet DC media dismissed it as such. Another low for DC media.”
The FEC’s ruling hasn’t yet been made public but a document outlining it says that Twitter’s move was made for business, not political purposes, according to the New York Times, which said it obtained a copy.
FEC decisions require at least four concurring votes and it’s unclear how the six members lined up.
All three Republican commissioners were appointed by Trump, meaning at least one rejected the RNC’s contention that Twitter’s action amounted to an “illegal corporate in-kind political contribution” to the winning campaign of Trump’s 2020 rival, President Joe Biden, who is Hunter Biden’s father.
Two of the other three commissioners are Democrats and the third is an independent appointed by then-President George W. Bush.
Earlier this year, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey admitted during a Congressional hearing that blocking users from sharing The Post’s blockbuster scoop was a “total mistake” and that locking The Post out of its own account for more than two weeks was “a process error.”
The Post refused Twitter’s demand to delete six tweets about its Hunter Biden stories, leading to a stalemate that ended when Twitter finally caved to mounting public pressure and unlocked the account.
The social media giant had claimed — without any evidence — that the contents of a laptop that held Hunter Biden’s emails, text messages, photos and videos were “hacked materials.”
According to the Times, the FEC concluded that Twitter “credibly explained” how its decision was a commercial one based on policies in effect at the time and that it had been warned by federal law enforcement officials that Hunter Biden “might be a target” of hacking operations by “malign state actors” seeking to interfere in the 2020 elections.
The FEC also reportedly said it found “no information that Twitter coordinated” with Joe Biden’s campaign and cited a sworn declaration by the company’s head of US public policy.
In April, Hunter Biden — who has publicly detailed his drug and alcohol problems — admitted that a MacBook Pro computer containing the data, and which was abandoned at a repair shop in his family’s hometown of Wilmington, Del., could have been his.
“I really don’t know what the answer is, that’s the truthful answer,” he told “CBS Sunday Morning.”
“I have no idea.”
Hunter Biden added, “Certainly, there could be a laptop out there that was stolen from me. It could be that I was hacked, it could be that it was Russian intelligence.”
An FEC spokesman declined to comment, saying, “Once an enforcement matter is resolved, the FEC has up to 30 days to post the related documents on our website.”