Sandals Resorts announced that it has put carbon monoxide detectors in all rooms at its Bahamas location after three guests died from poisonous fumes at the site.
“Ensuring the safety and well-being of our guests and team members is and will always be paramount,” the company told Washington Post. in a statement Thursday.
Resort employees found Michael Phillips, 68. Robbie Philllips, 65, and Vincent Chiarella, 64, unresponsive in their rooms earlier this month.
Chiarella’s wife, Donis, was also discovered gravely sick and flown to Miami for treatment.
All four of the victims had complained of severe nausea the day prior and sought help from a local clinic.
Investigators later determined that they had all suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Sandals officials later said that the leak was limited to one area.
“Despite initial speculation, Bahamian authorities have concluded the cause was an isolated incident in one stand-alone structure that housed two individual guest rooms and was in no way linked to the resort’s air conditioning system, food, and beverage service, landscaping services, or foul play,” the company said.