Security worker Gaby Hutchinson killed in Asake concert crowd rush

Security worker Gaby Hutchinson killed in Asake concert crowd rush

A 23-year-old security worker became the second person to die from a crowd rush at an Afrobeat concert in London last week.

Gaby Hutchinson, who was hired to patrol Asake’s Thursday show at the O2 Academy music hall in Brixton, died Monday of injuries he sustained when a horde of people forced their way into the venue, Metropolitan police announced Tuesday.

Hutchinson was in the foyer of the building when a surge of people who didn’t have tickets to the concert rushed inside, police said.

“It is devastating news that a second person has lost their life following the events on Thursday,” said Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove. “I wish to express my heartfelt condolences to Gaby’s family at this unimaginably difficult time.”

Rebecca Ikumelo, who died Saturday of injuries she suffered during the crowd crush, was also in the foyer. The 33-year-old mom of two was one of three people hospitalized in critical condition following the Asake concert.

Hutchinson was also among the three listed in critical condition. The third, a 21-year-old woman, remains hospitalized without any improvements, according to police. She too was in the foyer at the time of the stampede.

Rebecca Ikumelo
Rebecca Ikumelo died Saturday of injuries she suffered when a crowd forced its way into the concert venue.
Family Handout/PA Images/Alamy Images/Sipa USA

Eight people in total were hospitalized after the event.

Videos of Thursday’s crowd posted online show a sea of people packed tightly together outside the venue pushing up on one another as people yell “move away!”

People at the front of the crowd were shoved up against the doors of the London venue until the surge of people ultimately pushed through and into the foyer, where the worst injuries were.

The O2 Academy concert venue in Brixton, south London
There were 4,000 potential witnesses during the crowd rush that killed Gaby Hutchinson, according to Metropolitan Police.
AFP via Getty Images

Police are investigating the tragedy and combing through cell phone videos and surveillance footage as well as interviewing witnesses.

“There were around 4,000 potential witnesses present at the time of this incident and we urge any members of the public with information to come forward,” Metropolitan Police said.

The department has set up a webpage for people to submit footage and witness accounts of the event and crowd surge.

Source link