Senior royals beg Prince Andrew not to fight his sex-assault lawsuit at trial

0
79
Senior royals beg Prince Andrew not to fight his sex-assault lawsuit at trial

Senior members of the royal family are begging Prince Andrew not to fight his sex assault lawsuit at trial — fearing he’ll further humiliate the already bruised institution, according to reports.

Heir to the throne, Prince Charles, 73, and eldest son Prince William, the 39-year-old second in line, are leading the charge to persuade Andrew, 61, to settle out of court, a royal source told The Sun.

“The best outcome for everyone is that this is settled as soon as possible,” the source told the UK paper of the Manhattan lawsuit filed by longtime accuser Virginia Roberts Giuffre.

“There are deep, deep worries that this will get worse and worse for the family.”

The pair were “deeply shocked” when they heard Charles’ scandal-scarred brother said he wanted the damning allegations against him to be decided at a trial in Manhattan, the source said.

Andrew’s previous attempt to publicly address the accusations in a BBC “Newsnight” interview only compounded outrage, leading to him being banished from royal duties and ending his status as His Royal Highness to fight the allegations as a “private citizen.”

A damning undated photo shows Prince Andrew, left, with Virginia Giuffre and Ghislaine Maxwell.
A damning undated photo shows Prince Andrew, left, with Virginia Giuffre and Ghislaine Maxwell.
US District Court – Southern Dis

“After the car crash of ‘Newsnight,’ no one thinks a seven-hour deposition is a good idea,” the source told The Sun.

“If he were to appear in court it could be many times worse,” the insider suggested.

Media lawyer Mark Stephens earlier told DailyMail.com that a full trial would risk “bringing down the monarchy.”

Prince Andrew seen behind his older brother Prince Charles and in front of his nephew Prince William at his father's funeral last year.
Prince Andrew, seen behind his older brother Prince Charles and in front of his nephew Prince William, at his father’s funeral last year.
BACKGRID

Giuffre, now 38, has long said that late pedophile Jeffrey Epstein and his convicted madam, Ghislaine Maxwell, made her have sex with the prince three times, starting in 2001 when she was 17. Andrew has always vehemently denied her allegations.

Giuffre’s lawyer, David Boies, told The Sun that it would be “up to the judge” as to whether or not Andrew would be ordered to appear in person.

“My strong expectation is that he’s going to appear at trial,” Boies said.

“It would be, I think, a devastating tactical error for him to simply thumb his nose at the jury and not show up.”

The embattled prince, above, is reportedly hoping to defend himself at trial.
The embattled prince, above, is reportedly hoping to defend himself at trial.
AP

The ongoing speculation came as it emerged Friday that Andrew had lost yet another honor over the scandal — his membership at one of the world’s prestigious golf clubs.

“I can confirm that the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews has received notification that the Duke of York will relinquish his honorary membership,” the club said in a statement.

“We respect and appreciate his decision,” said the club, which was founded in 1754 and helped administer the rules of golf for 250 years until that role was handed over to another organization.

With Post wires

Source link