‘The Flash’ producer says movie still safe amid ‘Batgirl’ disaster

0
14
'The Flash' producer says movie still safe amid 'Batgirl' disaster

They won’t slash “The Flash.”

Warner. Bros is purportedly standing by its $200 million comic book blockbuster — days after it spectacularly axed sister flick “Batgirl.”

Both films form part of the DC Extended Universe, with whispers growing that “The Flash” could be the next franchise flick to be canned due to disturbing assault and grooming allegations leveled at lead actor Ezra Miller.

But on Thursday, producer Barbara Muschietti reportedly attempted to shut down such speculation, saying the movie is still slated to hit cinemas next summer.

“All is well in Flash land,” Muschietti, 50, allegedly wrote to a fan in a private Instagram message, which was subsequently shared on Twitter.

“The Flash,” directed by the Argentine producer’s brother Andy Muschietti, 48, is set to feature several crossover characters who would also have appeared in “Batgirl” — including Michael Keaton, 70, in his much-hyped return as Batman.

On Tuesday, The Post was first to break the news that “Batgirl” — which reportedly cost between $70 million to $100 million — had been shelved by Warner Bros. after being poorly received at test screenings. A source revealed that the movie studio decided to cut its losses for the sake of the DC brand.

"The Flash" producer Barbara Muschietti (right) says the movie is still going ahead as planned, despite drama engulfing lead star Ezra Miller (left). There are rumors the film could be on the chopping block after Warner Bros. axed another comic flick, Batgirl, earlier this week.
“The Flash” producer Barbara Muschietti (right) says the movie is still going ahead as planned, despite drama engulfing lead star Ezra Miller (left). There are rumors the film could be on the chopping block after Warner Bros. axed another comic flick, “Batgirl,” earlier this week.

But for now, the movie studio seems to be standing by “The Flash” — which has surprised some media pundits.

“The fact that they’re shelving ‘Batgirl’ but still planning to release that ‘The Flash’ movie and praying somehow no one has read a single Ezra Miller story online for the past two years is … a choice,” journalist Lacy Baugher Milas tweeted.

Producer Barbara Muchietti says "The Flash" is still slated to hit cinemas next summer. Miller is pictured in a still taken on the set of the blockbuster flick.
Muchietti says “The Flash” is still slated to hit cinemas next summer.
©Warner Bros/courtesy Everett C
Some have expressed surprise that Warner Bros. is standing behind "The Flash" whilst nixing "Batgirl."
Some have expressed surprise that Warner Bros. is standing behind “The Flash” after nixing “Batgirl.”
©Warner Bros/courtesy Everett C

Meanwhile, cyber skeptics still aren’t assuaged by Muchietti’s message, fearing “The Flash” is still doomed. The Post has reached out to the producer’s reps for comment.

“It’s been delayed countless times, had no Comic-Con coverage, no more trailers, and the creatives are all silent,” one person tweeted. ” ‘Batgirl ‘was just the beginning of the shake up, ‘The Flash’ is anything but safe.”

‘Like I’ve been saying … don’t ask producers or directors. They have NO IDEA. Until they are told, they will say nothing is wrong,” another declared.

Indeed, cast and crew of “Batgirl” were said to be blindsided and “humiliated” by The Post’s report that Warner Bros. had scrapped their movie.

The Post broke the news that "Batgirl" had been axed by Warner Bros. Actress Leslie Grace is seen in a still from the shelved flick.
The Post broke the news that “Batgirl” had been axed by Warner Bros. Actress Leslie Grace is seen in a still from the shelved flick.
CREDIT: LESLIE GRACE/INSTAGRAM

Meanwhile, Miller — who plays the titular character in “The Flash” — has been embroiled in multiple scandals in the past few months and it’s still unclear how they could partake in promotions for the film next year.

The 29-year-old — who uses they/them pronouns — was recently accused by two parents of allegedly grooming their 18-year-old child with “cult-like” and “psychologically manipulative” behaviors, though the teen vehemently denied the accusations.

Meanwhile, a different parent has also come forward accusing the actor of behaving inappropriately toward their 12-year-old. Both the parent and child were granted a temporary restraining order against Miller, the Daily Beast reported.

Miller is seen in a police booking photo after his arrest for disorderly conduct and harassment on March 28, 2022 in Hilo, Hawaii.
Miller is seen in a police booking photo after his arrest for disorderly conduct and harassment on March 28 in Hilo, Hawaii.
Hawaiʻi Police Department

On top of that, Miller was arrested multiple times in Hawaii — first for disorderly conduct and harassment and then for second-degree assault — in March and April, respectively.

Miller also landed in hot water in 2020 after a video surfaced that appeared to show them choking a fan at a bar in Reykjavik, Iceland.

Source link