Tracey Nix charged after 2 grandkids die in her care

Tracey Nix charged after 2 grandkids die in her care

A Florida grandmother has been charged with aggravated manslaughter for the hot-car death of her 7-month-old granddaughter, less than a year after her toddler grandson drowned in a pond while she napped.

Tracey Nix, 65, was babysitting her seven-month-old granddaughter, Uriel Schock, on Nov. 1, when the infant was found dead in the back seat of her SUV.

The 2019 Lexus was parked with all its windows closed outside Nix’s home in small town of Wauchula, where temperatures soared into the 90s on that fall day.

Inside the house, Nix, a former school principal, talked to her dog and practiced the piano.

When interviewed by the police later, the grandmother said she had “just forgotten” about her granddaughter after returning home from lunch with friends, according to an affidavit by the Hardee County Sheriff’s Office.

Uriel Schock
Seven-month-old Uriel Schock died after being left in a hot vehicle by her grandmother, who is now facing an aggravated manslaughter charge.

Tracey Nix, left, and grandson Ezra Schock, right
Tracey Nix, 65, left, was charged in her granddaughter’s death less than a year after her grandson, 16-month-old Ezra Schock, right, drowned while in her care.

It was not until one of Nix’s other grandchildren arrived that she said it “came across her head” that baby Uriel had been in the SUV all afternoon.

The grandmother’s husband, Nun Ney Nix, found the unresponsive infant in the backseat and attempted CPR, but she could not be revived.

“To think of the last moments of her life as a mother is gut-wrenching,” Uriel’s mother, Kaila Nix, told ABC Action News.

Her partner, Drew Schock, wondered aloud through sobs: “How do you forget a little girl?”

The baby girl died 11 months after her 16-month-old brother, Ezra, drowned in a pond while in the care of his grandmother.

Three days before Christmas in 2021, Nix had reportedly dozed off on the couch. When she woke up and could not find her toddler grandson, she called her husband for help.

Kaila Nix and her baby daughter
Kaila Nix, left, said she had entrusted her infant daughter in her mom’s care last November because she wanted to give her a second chance.

Ezra was later discovered lying unresponsive in a couple of feet of standing water outside his grandmother’s home.

After getting a call about her son, Kaila Nix sped to her mother’s home and got into a head-on collision while six months pregnant with Uriel.

“All of my airbags went off, I don’t remember how I got out, but I got out and started running to my parent’s house and at this point, I don’t have shoes. I’m just running,” she recalled. “That was my desperation to get to my son.”

Kaila and her partner, Drew Shock, said that after their son’s drowning death they did not trust Tracey “at all” and would never let their eldest child, aged 4, go to her house.

Kaila Nix, Drew Schock and two of their children
Ezra, pictured in his father Drew Schock’s arms, drowned in December 2021 while his grandmother was napping.

“We were anxious, but I loved my mother and I am a daughter that wanted her mom in her life in some capacity, and in that moment, I thought that I could believe in second chances,” Kaila Nix said.

The mom-of-three added that when she learned that her son’s death was ruled accidental, she was relieved.

“Some sliver child part of me, thought, ‘Ok good, I get to keep this mom. This grandmother. This person,” she said of Tracey Nix.

Kaila Nix said that on Nov. 22, she felt comfortable leaving her daughter in her mother’s care because she knew the people she was going to lunch with and trusted them.

Ezra Schock
The boy’s death was ruled an accident and no charges were filed against the grandma.

Kaila Nix and Uriel
As baby Uriel, right, was dying in her grandmother’s SUV in 90-degree heat, Tracey Nix was at home practicing the piano.

Within a few hours, she said an officer from the Hardee County Sheriff’s Office showed up at her home, telling her that her baby was dead.

“And I said, ‘I’m sorry, what? I know Ezra’s dead. Why are you here, like…what is this?’ ‘No, Kaila, your baby is dead,’” she recalled the officer explaining to her.

Tracey’s Nix’s lawyer, William Fletcher, described Uriel’s hot-car death as “obviously an accident,” and said that the grandmother was “totally devastated” by the deaths of her two grandchildren.

Tracey Nix with two of her grandchildren
Nix’s lawyer said Uriel’s death was an accident that has left the grandma “devastated.”

The 65-year-old could face between 12 and 30 years in prison if found guilty of aggravated manslaughter in her granddaughter’s death, according to the attorney.

“If I’m objective, she needs to go to prison,” Kaila Nix said. “As her daughter, it kills me to say it. As their mother, I demand it. I will fight for them.”

Source link