Travis Scott hit with $2 billion lawsuit in wake of Astroworld

0
15
Travis Scott hit with $2 billion lawsuit in wake of Astroworld

A Texas attorney on Thursday filed a massive $2 billion lawsuit on behalf of 282 victims of the deadly Astroworld Festival – adding to the legal woes faced by Travis Scott and other parties involved in the ill-fated concert in Houston.

“The defendants stood to make an exorbitant amount of money off this event, and they still chose to cut corners, cut costs, and put attendees at risk,” San Antonio-based attorney Thomas Henry in a news release.

“My clients want to ensure the defendants are held responsible for their actions, and they want to send the message to all performers, event organizers, and promoters that what happened at Astroworld cannot happen again,” he added.

The lawsuit seeks up to $2 billion damages from a long list of defendants, including Scott, Drake, event organizers Live Nation, Apple Music and NRG Stadium.

In an interview with Hollywood Life last week, Henry said his clients range in age from teens to 40.

A Texas-based lawyer filed a $2 billion lawsuit against the Astroworld concert that claimed the lives of eight people and injured several others.
A Texas-based lawyer filed a $2 billion lawsuit against the Astroworld concert that claimed the lives of eight people and injured several others.
Amy Harris/Invision/AP
Rapper Drake along with Travis Scott, LiveNation, Apple Music and NRG Stadium have all been listed as defendants in the case.
Rapper Drake along with Travis Scott, LiveNation, Apple Music and NRG Stadium have all been listed as defendants in the case.
CHRIS DELMAS/AFP via Getty Images

“They have injuries ranging from heart attacks, to heart issues, to brain injuries, to spinal injuries, to broken bones, broken legs, eye injuries, internal organ injuries, bruising and bleeding,” the high-powered lawyer told the outlet.

In addition to the “severe physical injuries,” Henry said there is “just a whole calamity, emotional injuries that were suffered” as well.

“Those who were injured are still very traumatized because they had to step over dead bodies. They didn’t have a choice because there was nowhere to move. These people were trapped. The crushing effect was so heavy and so hard. They couldn’t breathe. They couldn’t get out,” he told Hollywood Life.

Travis Scott performs onstage during the third annual Astroworld Festival at NRG Park on November 05, 2021 in Houston, Texas
Travis Scott performs onstage during the third annual Astroworld Festival at NRG Park on November 05, 2021 in Houston, Texas
Rick Kern/Getty Images

Henry said his law firm was focusing on Travis and Drake in attempts of getting a hold of their cell phones.

“We already have started this process and are going to make sure that we get him and Drake’s cell phones because there are communication systems in play that will be in those cell phones,” he told the outlet.

“Every type of communication that he does, whether it be his audio, or his video, or his text messages, or his cell phone calls – we are going to make sure that they are all preserved,” Henry added.

Mourners gather for the burial of Brianna Rodriguez, a concertgoer who died in a stampede during a Travis Scott performance on November 13, 2021.
Mourners gather for the burial of Brianna Rodriguez, a concertgoer who died in a stampede during a Travis Scott performance on November 13, 2021.
REUTERS/Callaghan O’Hare

The latest blockbuster lawsuit comes on the heels of Houston attorney Tony Buzbee’s $750 million suit filed on behalf of 125 victims also against Scott, Drake, Live Nation, Epic Records, Apple Music and other entities.  

Among his clients is the family of 21-year-old Axel Acosta Avila, one of 10 people who died in the tragedy.

At least 140 lawsuits have been filed in the wake of the disaster, CNN reported, citing Harris County District Court records.

People who attended the Travis Scott concert sign a remembrance board at a makeshift memorial at the NRG Park grounds where eight people died in a crowd surge at the Astroworld Festival.
People who attended the Travis Scott concert sign a remembrance board at a makeshift memorial at the NRG Park grounds where eight people died in a crowd surge at the Astroworld Festival.
THOMAS SHEA/AFP via Getty Images

A spokesperson for Scott told Fox News Digital last week that he is still “actively exploring routes of connection” with families affected by the tragedy.

Source link