The concert promoter behind Travis Scott’s deadly Astroworld Festival has seen a slew of tragedies at past events — with at least 750 injuries and around 200 deaths in the last 15 years, according to a review of records.
Live Nation has already been named in lawsuits filed just days after eight fans died in the terrifying crush at Scott’s Astroworld show in his native Houston on Friday.
But the promoter and its subsidiary, Live Nation Worldwide, have previously paid out hundreds of millions from lawsuits over tragedies at previous events in several countries since 2006, according to an investigation by the Houston Chronicle.
Their events have also seen hefty fines after being found to have broken Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the report noted.
Like Scott’s deadly Texas show, many of the previous complaints involve an overwhelming crush of people at events.
That includes the 2018 Global Citizen Festival in Central Park, in which a fan said in a lawsuit that she was “trampled, pummeled, assaulted … due to stampede-like conditions” at the show headlined by Janet Jackson, The Weeknd and Cardi B.
The company also promoted a 2016 Snoop Dogg show in Camden, NJ,
during which a crowd forced a railing to give way, causing 50 people to fall about 10 feet onto a concrete pathway. That show was abruptly stopped.
Live Nation also faced a lawsuit from a concertgoer who broke her leg during a stampede at a 2016 North Carolina gig by Gwen Stefani.
The lawsuit says Stefani made a casual remark from the stage about seats being available in a reserved area near the stage, which prompted “a stampede rush of patrons,” the lawsuit said, according to the outlet.
It left “people knocking over and breaching the security barricades and other security matter, jumping over seats in the reserved seating area, and pouring in through the aisles,” the lawsuit claimed.
In 2010, 19 fans were also injured at a free hardcore concert at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics as surging crowds caused a barricade to collapse, the Chronicle said.
At least some of the lawsuits have led to huge payouts, including shows in New York.
In 2019, a Manhattan jury awarded a Long Island man a whopping $101 million payout for a fall at a 2013 concert at Jones Beach that left him with a fractured skull.
Mark Perez, 36, had to undergo four brain surgeries after a forklift crashed into a booth he was setting up, causing him to plummet at least 10 feet.
The company also settled for $50 million with victims of a stage collapse at the Indiana State Fair in 2011, when seven people died and 61 were injured by the accident blamed on high winds.
In 2012, Radiohead drum technician Scott Johnson was killed when the stage structure crashed ahead of the UK ban’s show in Toronto.
When the band returned to the Canadian city six years later, singer Thom Yorke complained that “the people who should be held accountable are still not being held accountable.”
“The silence is f—ing deafening,” he told fans.
The hefty death toll, however, is largely due to the trio of history’s worst terror attacks at concerts.
That same year, 60 country music fans were slaughtered in Las Vegas in what is still the deadliest mass shooting in US history.
Attorneys for Live Nation did not respond to a request for comment, the Houston Chronicle said.
The company said on Twitter that it was “heartbroken for those lost and impacted at Astroworld.”
“We will continue working to provide as much information and assistance as possible to the local authorities as they investigate the situation,” the firm vowed.
Scott also said he was “absolutely devastated” and pledged to work with authorities.