Two suspects busted in accidental shooting death of 8-year-old Chicago girl

Two suspects busted in accidental shooting death of 8-year-old Chicago girl

Two people, including a teenager, are in custody in the shooting death of an 8-year-old Chicago girl killed by a stray bullet as she walked with her mother, according to a report.

The unnamed suspects, a 16-year-old boy and a 27-year-old man, were being held Wednesday in connection to Saturday’s slaying of Melissa Ortega, who was shot in the head while walking with her mom in the city’s Little Village section, sources told the Chicago Tribune.

The 16-year-old was being investigated as the possible shooter, while the 27-year-old suspect was arrested after being stopped in a car that police suspected was used during the shooting, the newspaper reported.

The 27-year-old man had a loaded, concealed but easily accessible weapon as he drove, according to a police report obtained by the newspaper, which did not identify him or the younger suspect.

Melissa Ortega
Melissa Ortega was killed by a stray bullet while she was walking with her mother. The two had moved to Chicago from Mexico in August.

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot is expected to join the city’s top cop, Superintendent David Brown, and Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx at a 2:15 p.m. Wednesday press conference at police headquarters, a department official confirmed to The Post. No additional information was released.

A message seeking comment from Foxx’s office was not immediately returned, but a spokeswoman said she expected charges to be filed in the case “sometime this afternoon,” according to the Tribune.

Melissa Ortega
Melissa Ortega was a third-grade student at Emiliano Zapata Academy in Chicago. Sources say they expect charges to be filed in her case imminently.
Family photo via NBC Chicago

A 29-year-old alleged gang member, who cops said was the intended target of the shooting, was also wounded amid the gunfire. He has yet to be named, but was listed in fair condition, the newspaper reported Wednesday.

The girl, a third-grader at Chicago’s Emiliano Zapata Academy, was pronounced dead at a hospital Saturday. She and her mother had moved to the Windy City from Mexico in August, according to a GoFundMe that garnered more than $69,000 as of Wednesday.

“They were both excited to start a new life in Chicago and build their American Dream,” the fundraising site reads.

The money is being raised to pay for the girl’s funeral in her hometown of Los Sauces in the Mexican state of Zacatecas, where she’ll be buried.

Source link