Ukrainian model Alona Savchenko found hacked to death in Bangkok

Ukrainian model Alona Savchenko found hacked to death in Bangkok

A Polish businessman has been arrested in Thailand after allegedly hacking his Ukrainian model girlfriend to death with a saw — and then using Google Translate to ask for help disposing of her body.

Alona Savchenko, 24, had checked into the upscale Key Sathon-Charoenraj condominium building in Bangkok’s Bang Kho Laem district with her boyfriend, Jan Jerzy Lagoda-Filippow, 25, on April 29.

Security footage from inside the building showed the couple smiling and chatting as they walked together in a hallway Friday.

A separate CCTV clip from Monday afternoon showed a stern-looking Lagoda-Filippow waiting for an elevator with a suitcase, but there was no sign of Savchenko.

Later that day, the manager of the building and a security guard were contacted by taxi driver Surachai Sabaibang who said he had been hired by Lagoda-Filippow, reported Viral Press.

The driver reported that the Polish national asked him to take him to “any casino.”

But while in the car, the 25-year-old allegedly used the Google Translate function on his phone to ask the cabbie to help him chop up his girlfriend’s body in exchange for $44.

Jan Jerzy Lagoda-Filippow, 25
Jan Jerzy Lagoda-Filippow, 25, a Polish national, has been arrested in Thailand in connection with his Ukrainian girlfriend’s grisly killing.

Alona Savchenko, 24
Alona Savchenko, 24, was found dead in Bangkok Monday after being repeatedly stabbed and hacked with a saw.

The driver dropped off his passenger at a hotel in Sathorn district and called the management of the condominium to report Lagoda-Filippow’s disturbing behavior. He added that the man appeared drunk.

Apartment building staff then gained entrance into the couple’s unit on the 32nd floor and discovered Savchenko’s lifeless, blood-soaked body on the bed.

The Ukrainian woman was said to have sustained multiple stabbing and slashing injuries, including one from her neck to her left shoulder that nearly decapitated her.

Savchenko’s face was bloodied and her left hand had been hacked off at the wrist. 

Police who were called to the scene recovered a blood-stained 2-foot-long saw next to the victim’s body.

A saw is seen covered in blood
A blood-stained saw was found next to the victim’s body at a luxury condo.

CCTV footage of Savchenko and her boyfriend Friday
Surveillance video showed Savchenko and her boyfriend walking together in a hallway at the Key Sathon-Charoenraj condominium Friday.

Investigators said they believe the 24-year-old model had been dead for about 24 hours prior to her discovery.

An autopsy will be performed to determine her exact cause of death.

On Monday evening, officers with a Thai ranger force were at Rong Klua market in the Aranyaprathet district looking for their two pet dogs that had run away when they found one of the pups near a Caucasian man sitting on a stone table, reported Thai PBS World.

Police Capt. Thavorn Boonpeng said his men recognized the foreigner from a photo that was issued by immigration officials as part of a search for Lagoda-Filippow.

The rangers escorted the wanted man to their camp for questioning, but he refused to speak to them. They then searched his luggage and allegedly found a passport belonging to Savchenko.

Lagoda-Filippow seen waiting for an elevator alone
On Monday afternoon, Lagoda-Filippow was seen on video leaving the condo building alone.

Police removing Savchenko's body from the crime scene
Police were called to the couple’s apartment and found Savchenko nearly decapitated and covered in blood.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Pongpun Phonharn said it is believed that Lagoda-Filippow was trying to flee Thailand when he was apprehended in Sa Kaeo province on the border with Cambodia.

Lagoda-Filippow is a Polish citizen who owns an advertising business registered in London.

Phonharn described the suspect as being “very calm” at the time of his arrest.

“He drank coffee as normal in his cell and started exercising, like it was his normal morning routine. He did not say anything,” he said.

Police officials said the Polish Embassy in Bangkok has been notified of Lagoda-Filippow’s arrest.

Source link