Walmart supervisor Andre Bing — who shot and killed six workers in the Chesapeake, Virginia store last month before taking his own life — had been investigated by the big-box store two years before the violent rampage over his disturbing behavior.
Two new lawsuits brought against Walmart by surviving employees claim Bing, 31, had repeatedly displayed worrying behavior that wasn’t taken seriously enough, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Regional managers came to the store in early 2020 to look into his behavior after members of the overnight shift complained Bing was mean and threatening, former and current employees told the paper.
“We were individually interviewed,” ex-employee Amanda Land said, calling Bing “not easy to get along with.
“He thought people were always talking crap about him,” she said.
It’s unclear what became of the investigation, but Bing stayed employed at Walmart until his self-inflicted death.
Bing entered the Virginia store on Nov. 22 just as the night shift began and went on his deadly rampage where he killed multiple employees in the store’s break room before shooting himself.
“Andre did a lot of weird things,” former Nathan Sinclair said. “Andre was an aggressive person.”
Employee Donya Prioleau, 27, had written a formal ethics complain on Sept. 10 about Bing’s inappropriate remarks about her appearance and age, the WSJ reported.
“Mr. Bing was known for being a mean and cruel supervisor,” Prioleau lawyers said in the suit.
Her suit also alleges that employees feared Bing would retaliate if he was fired, due to things he had said, such as asking his fellow employees if they had active shooter training.
Another employee, 24-year-old James Kelly, said in the second suit that Bing once threatened him by saying: ”I don’t care how big you are. I have something to take care of that.”
Both suits are seeking $50 million in damages from Walmart.
Walmart told the Journal it is reviewing the complaints and will formally respond in court.